Monday, September 8, 2014

Derek Jeter Hug!


I first became a Yankees fan in the summer of 1993. I was 7, going on 8. Don Mattingly was my favorite player. The Yankees did not make the playoffs, but I fell in love with the Bronx Bombers in Pinstripes. A couple of seasons later, Derek Jeter joined my beloved Yanks. So I only had 2 seasons before Jeter led the Yankees dynasty to win 5 World Series. 5! As any sports fan knows, getting to see your beloved team win one championship is a dream come true. But I, a fourth-generation Yankees fan, got to see my favorite team in pinstripes win 5 times. I barely even remember a time that that Yankees were without Jeter. And after this season, there will not be another time that I will get to see him play for them.

Yesterday was Derek Jeter Day at Yankee Stadium. When this season ends, we're all going to need a big hug to fill the void of the most respected player in baseball (and arguably all of sports). Jeter, our captain, we're going to miss you! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment